Saturday, March 22, 2014

What "Professional" Photography Says About Our Generation

Chances are you know someone in their twenties who has a photography business.  Much of what I see on facebook these days are sample photos from weddings, or advertisements about such and such photography business.

I've noticed some big changes in the last 10 years or so.  Photography has changed a lot.  Digital SLR cameras have replaced traditional SLR's, and therefore the number of shutter clicks has increased dramatically.  Since there is no more film to buy or one-hour-photo developing cost, you don't have to be as careful or thoughtful as you click away.  And since photo-editing software is so advanced, you can make a decent picture out of almost anything that's saved on a memory card.

Another big change I've noticed is the drastic increase in the number of professional photographers out there.  It's obvious this has to do with the advancements in technology, the lower cost of taking photos, and the ease of sharing and publishing photos.  Never before have we had so much control over what our photos look like.  Never before have their been so many photos.  And never before have there been so many photographers.

I can understand the appeal of taking photos professionally.  All you need is a decent DSLR, a few lenses and some photo software.  When I look at how little training is needed, I find it hard to understand how expensive it is to hire a photographer to shoot your big event.  On the one hand, I can understand that it's time consuming, the equipment is expensive, and sure... it's an art.  But, I can't help but to be bothered by the fact that there is so much money to be made with so little skill and qualification.  It's easy for anyone to produce really good photos.  Why else would there be so many photographers?  Ask them where they got their training.  No doubt most are self-trained.

I wonder if the high cost of professional photography these days is justified due to the wealth of competition and the lack of training and qualification.  I wonder if perhaps this phenomenon proves the sociologists right when they say that our generation is marked by an attitude of entitlement.

I have several friends that get paid to take good photos, some of whom make a living off it.  I respect their talents and entrepreneurship.  I'm just as guilty of reckless consumerism and entitlement as the rest of the kids born in the 80s & 90s.  We need to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment