Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Our Society Loves Kids Too Much

One of our culture's idols is children.  You don't have to look far to see that.  Children simply are not allowed to fail.  They must not fail.  Our culture sees to it that they do not fail.  They aren't held responsible for almost anything.  If they commit crimes, it's got to be their parent's fault.  If they don't do well in school, it's the government's fault.  If they don't do well in sports, we lie to them and tell them they did well anyway.

When I look at social media as a new parent, I can't help but feel inferior and insufficient as I look at other new parents publish law codes about how EVERYone ought to raise their children.  I've already given up.  My house will never be safe or clean enough.

Perhaps the most evident example of where I see this cultural imbalance is in our response to school shootings.  Why are the deaths of children at school so much more heinous than the deaths of adults?  Why aren't the senseless deaths of adults as heinous?  Why are children so innocent until they turn 18?  Don't get me wrong, I think school shootings are terrible and we should do as much as we can to stop them.  But what if stopping them involves raising a generation of children who CAN fail?

No comments:

Post a Comment